An OEM car part is an
Original Equipment Manufacturer part. That is usually the kind of part
that you get when you have your car repaired at an auto dealership. OEM
parts are made by your car's manufacturer. These match the parts that
came with your vehicle when it rolled off the assembly line.
alternative to using one is using an aftermarket part. This kind of
part meets meets, or even exceeds, the quality of a stock engine part.
It could be built to perform as efficiently as the original ones
installed in your engine without the high dealership price. But you
need to know whether a particular brand is a trusted one or else you
could get a bad part.
Is it better to use an OEM car part? It
all depends. One advantage in using this kind of part is the greater
assurance of quality. And it usually comes with a one-year warranty. And
if you get your car repaired at the dealer, they'll usually stand by
their labor as well.
The disadvantages of using an OEM are
- It is usually more expensive, they cost about 60 percent more than an aftermarket part.
- High price doesn't guarantee a superior part. An aftermarket part could be equal or in some cases better than an OEM car part.
- You must buy it at the dealership. Most people buy their OEM part there to get it immediately. You can get it elsewhere but it will take longer to get your vehicle repaired.
An aftermarket part is any part for a vehicle that is not sourced from the car's maker.
The advantages to using aftermarket parts are:
- An aftermarket part is usually less expensive than an OEM.
- Quality can be equal or greater than OEM.
- More variety to them since hundreds of companies make them.
- You can find them anywhere.
But the sheer number of selections of them could be overwhelming. Some aftermarket parts are of inferior quality and to keep their costs down, some aftermarket parts are sold without a warranty.
You can find those parts at AutoBarn.com.
Weigh the advantages and disadvantages of using an OEM. If it gives you peace of mind if you use them instead of the aftermarket parts, then opt for the original equipment manufacturer part.
AutoBarn.com Special Offers
More OEM car part source:
Auto Glass Windshields
Auto Part Performance
BMW Car Part
Ford Auto Glass
Ford Car Part
GMC Auto Glass
Muscle Car Part
Mustang Car Part
Nissan Car Part
OEM Car Part
Used Auto Part
Volvo Car Part